- Guided tours for pupils and students are for groups of between 12 and 48 (48 is a maximum including teachers or accompanying adults).
- For groups of minors, there should be at least 2 accompanying adults.
- All tours are free of charge.
- Tours are available from Monday to Saturday, both mornings and afternoons.
- Each tour lasts about three hours and includes an introduction with a short film followed by a visit to one or two of the ground-level visit points.
- Please note that, in general, it is not possible to visit the underground experiments, especially for visitors under 16.
- For safety reasons, most of our visit point are not open to pupils younger than 12 years of age and therefore the offer is limited.
In addition to your tour, you can discover the two permanent exhibitions at your leisure: the Microcosm, next to Reception, and the Universe of Particles, on the ground floor of the Globe of Science and Innovation - (Opening hours).
- Please check the following important instructions. Failure to respect any of these instructions may lead to your guided tour being cancelled.
Frequently asked questions
- Please read our frequently asked questions page.
- Reservations of tours for schools and students open 9 months in advance.
- Requests for pupil or student group tours must be submitted by the accompanying teacher or the head of the educational establishment in question.
- Requests must be made using the professional email address (free addresses from Yahoo, Gmail etc will not be considered official).
- Requests submitted by agencies or tour operators will not be considered.
- The reservation form includes a free space in which the educational aims and profile of the class should be specified.
- Please note that your request has not been accepted until you receive an official confirmation from the Visits Service by e-mail.
- If you do not receive a response five working days after submitting your request, please contact our service by e-mail.
- The decision to accept or not your request is base on various parameters: availability of our visit sites, availability of our guides, requested language, size of the group, if you provide or not a bus for transport during the tour etc.
- Due to CERN site access rules, once your request is accepted you will have to provide full identity of all visitors (last name, first name, date of birth, place of birth, country of birth and nationality) at least 21 days before the tour. Failure to provide this information may lead to the guided tour to be cancelled for some visitors.
More information on what we do with visitors personal data.
- 21 days before the tour you will be requested to do a final confirmation of the tour.
Please note that...
- CERN is open to all but receives many more requests for places on tours than it can accommodate.
- Even though CERN considers outreach, and therefore guided tours, as part of its key missions, its main mission is fundamental research.
- Therefore, budgetary, technical and safety constraints limit CERN visits service's capacity (even though CERN welcomes more than 130,000 visitors each year on guided tours).
- If you cannot get your guided tour for groups of pupils and students here are some alternative solutions:
- Try another date.
- Our permanent exhibitions offer a very good alternative to get an idea on what CERN looks like from the inside. They are accessible freely, no reservation needed.
We thank you for your understanding.
Request a guided tour
Booking a guided tour requires an account.
You can use your CERN, Facebook, Google, Live, Yahoo or Orange account.
Alternatively click here to create CERN lightweight account with your school email address.
Please be aware that only school email addresses will be accepted for guided tours for pupils and students.
|Request a guided tour for groups of pupils and students|