Group tours of certain areas of CERN are highly in demand and, depending on the language, sometimes have a waiting list of several months. This is why we also offer tours for individuals and groups of maximum 11 people. You can sign up for a tour at much shorter notice. The tour itinerary is different to that of the group tours. All visits are free of charge.
The tour offers an introduction to CERN, allowing visitors to discover the history of the Laboratory and the latest scientific developments. The tour consists of a visit to a historic area of CERN and to the operations centre of one of the experiments. Immersive audio-visual presentations complement the information provided by the tour guide. The tour is in English or French and lasts around two hours.
Due to the nature of our activities, guided tours are suitable for children as from 12. Our permanent exhibitions may be suitable for younger children.
Please note that this tour does not include an underground visit.
The tour is on foot (outdoors and indoors) with a maximum of 24 people in the group.
Tours in English
- Mondays to Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Mondays to Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Additional tours in English (summer period - depending of availability)
- Mondays to Saturdays from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Tours in French
- Wednesday and Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
No individual visits at the following dates:
- From Friday 14th April to Monday 17th April inclusive (Easter week-end)
- Monday 1st May 2017 (1st May)
- Thursday 25th May 2017 (Ascension day)
- Monday 5th June 2017 (Whit Monday)
- Thursday 7th September 2017 ("Jeûne genevois")
Please check the following important instructions. Failure to respect any of these instructions may lead to your guided tour being cancelled.
In addition to your tour, you can discover the two permanent exhibitions at your leisure: the Microcosm, next to Reception, and the Universe of Particles, on the ground floor of the Globe of Science and Innovation - (Opening hours).
Due to limited capacity and high demand, you must reserve your tour by completing the individual reservation form online (below).
Reservations for tours open 15 days in advance. (An additional tour is open for booking 3 days in advance to allow late bookings).
Please note :
* Every day at 8:30 a.m. (Geneva time) new slots are opened for tours scheduled for 15 days later as well as for the additional tour scheduled for 3 days later.
* Tours of CERN are always very popular and the tour slots fill up quite quickly.
* We cannot accept bookings for individual tours more than 15 days in advance.
For groups 12 people or more , please complete the group reservation form!
We can only accept tour requests submitted using the form below.