CERN offers guided tours to individuals or groups of less than 12 visitors in English and French.
Tours will be organized in groups of 24 visitors in the same language. CERN organizes up to 5 such tour every day, up to 8 during the Summer.
All tours are free of charge.
The tour offers an introduction to CERN, followed by a visit to an historic area of CERN and to the operations centre of one of the experiments.
Immersive audio-visual presentations complement the information provided by the tour guide. The tour lasts around two hours and is on foot and takes place outdoors and indoors.
Please note that these tours do not include any underground visits.
Due to the nature of our activities, we recommend that children be aged at least 12 years to join guided tours.
Our permanent exhibitions are more suitable for younger children. Minors MUST be accompanied by at least one adult.
In addition to your tour, you can explore our two permanent exhibitions: the Microcosm, next to Reception, and the Universe of Particles, on the ground floor of the Globe of Science and Innovation - (Opening hours).
Tours in English
- Mondays to Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Mondays to Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Additional tours in English (summer period - depending on availability)
- Mondays to Saturdays from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Tours in French
- Wednesday and Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. as from mid-October 2017)
- There are no exceptions foreseen this year.
- Please check the following important instructions. Failure to respect any of these instructions may lead to your guided tour being cancelled.
- You have to book your Guided tour for individuals by submitting the form below. Your tour will only be confirmed once you receive a positive answer by e-mail.
- Filling in the form does NOT guarantee that you will succeed in getting a place on a guided tour.
- 15 days in advance, at 08:30 a.m. CET, half of the capacity (i.e. 12 people per tour) is released for booking.
- 3 days in advance, at 08:30 a.m. CET, the remaining half of the capacity (i.e. 12 people per tour) is released for booking,
- The system is based on first in first served philosophy.
Please note that...
- CERN is open to all but is facing 3 times more requests for places on tours than it can accommodate.
- Even if CERN considers outreach, and therefore guided tours, as part of its fundamental missions, its main mission is fundamental research.
- Therefore, budgetary, technical and safety constraints limit CERN visits service's capacity (even though CERN welcomes more than 120,000 visitors each year on guided tours).
- It is not unusual that available places on Guided tours for individuals are filled within seconds everyday at 08:30 a.m. CET!
- If you cannot make your Guided tour for individuals booking here are some alternative solutions:
- Try another date.
- Check our webpage regularly as it is not unusual that we add extra individual tours on a last minute basis.
- Our permanent exhibitions offer a very good alternative to get an idea on what CERN looks like from the inside. They are accessible freely, no reservation needed.
- Form a group of 12 visitors and try to book your tour up to 3 months in advance.
We thank your for your understanding.